Date: March 1, 2007
Re: 2007 Affiliate Finals
Ridge High School, Basking Ridge
March 24, 2007
The 2006/2007 Destination ImagiNation tournament season has arrived! We are ready and raring to go and can’t wait to see the wonderful solutions your Teams have waiting for us! We are in the process of making certain that the Ridge High School tournament site will provide a safe, secure, and fun tournament experience for all.
We are extremely grateful to our friends at Ridge High School and the Bernards Township Board Office for their generous support of our program. Please note that proceeds from the cafeteria help to offset the cost to the school for providing this wonderful site. We ask that you please support them in return.
We look forward to meeting you and your Teams on March 24, 2007! Enclosed is pre-tournament information that is vital for you and your team members. Please read the entire packet with great care and review the deadlines, rules, and regulations with your team(s). Your team’s privilege to compete in this year’s tournament, being held on March 24, 2007 depends on your attention to these details. Tournament schedules for all Teams will be e-mailed approximately one to two weeks before the tournament and posted on the web site.
All forms and fees should have been sent by now. If you have not sent the fees to the International (Glassboro) office, please do so immediately.
On tournament day, each team competing must provide registered and TRAINED appraisers according to the following formula:
1 team = 2 appraisers
2 teams = 2 appraisers
3 teams = 3 appraisers
4 teams = 4 appraisers, etc.
ALL MEMBERSHIPS WHO DID NOT SUBMIT APPRAISERS WILL BE ABLE TO PERFORM AT THE COMPETITION BUT THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COMPETE. Even though some memberships have veteran appraisers, every appraiser MUST be trained for the challenge THIS YEAR. Please notify us, Nancy or Bev Webb at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not going to perform as soon as possible.
1. Appraisers’ meeting will begin promptly at 8:00 a.m. unless otherwise informed by their Challenge Master. The location will be posted at the Registration Table for each challenge. If you are bringing your appraisers with you on a school bus, please note that you will have to adhere to the appraisers’ schedule and arrive in enough time for them to register and attend their meeting.
2. Teams who do not provide the required number of registered and trained appraisers will not be allowed to compete, but will be permitted to perform.
3. Each appraiser will receive his/her assignment by mail/or by telephone.
4. If your appraisers have a question prior to the tournament, please have them call their Challenge Master or the Affiliate Director. It is important when calling to leave a day and evening telephone number so calls may be promptly returned.
5. If an emergency prevents an official from attending the DI Association Finals, call Bev Webb. (home 908 766 5587 cell 732 735 1531) It is the Team Manager’s responsibility to communicate this information to all of his/her appraisers. Teams that do not comply with these requirements will be allowed to present their solution, but their scores will NOT BE CALCULATED.
6. IMPORTANT! Team Managers should provide each of their officials with a stopwatch, calculator, clipboard and pencils.
II. WHEN AND WHERE
This year’s Affiliate Tournament is being hosted by Ridge High School – Levels P, E, I, & S on Saturday, March 24, 2007. The following is a tentative timetable of events and meetings. Please make this information available to team members, parents, and chaperones.
Appraisers’ Check-In very early.
Team Managers’ Registration: 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Appraisers’ Meetings 8:00 a.m.
Weigh-In Begins at 8:30 a.m.
Competition: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Award Ceremony: Levels P,E,I, & S 6:30 p.m. Tentative
PLEASE CHECK AT THE REGISTRATION TABLE FOR SCHEDULE AND ROOM CHANGES.
A. TEAM MANAGERS’ REGISTRATION
Registration for team managers will take place in the main entrance lobby of Ridge High School. (Maps of the parking areas and interior school areas will be mailed with the Schedules). All Team Managers must first report to the Registration Desk. Team members, assistant team managers, and chaperones must remain on the bus or outside until the Team Manager registers the team.
Parking: On site parking is available.
Buses: Buses will be parked in the lot at the Cedar Hill School
Team Managers should make arrangements to meet their drivers for departure.
B. TEAM ENTRANCE
The Team Manager should determine which entrance is closest to the team’s assigned holding room. The Team Manager should then instruct the team to proceed into the building and into the holding room with props. Holding rooms will be tight this year. It is advisable, when possible, to leave props in the transport vehicles until they are needed to set up for performance.
Review with the team(s) any other information in your Team Manager’s packet that you will receive when you register. Please instruct your team(s) not to block hallways, entrances, or exits.
III. TOURNAMENT RULES AND REGULATIONS
Violation of any rules and regulations, whether set forth in this document and its attachments, or in the Destination ImagiNation, Inc. Rules of the Road, may result in an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty being assessed to the team. It is imperative that you communicate these rules to your team members, appraisers, chaperones, and team supporters.
A.THE HIGH SCHOOL BUILDING AND GROUNDS
No person is allowed in any area other than the areas designated for use.
Please, be very careful with the high school. No dragging of props or sets. We are guests at the school, take extra care in all that you do to keep the building unharmed.
B. SECURITY AND BEHAVIOR
In order to make this a positive and memorable day, and in keeping with the spirit of competitions, we ask your cooperation in effectively supervising your teams. We remind you that we are guests of the Ridge High School.
1. Team Managers must be responsible for their team(s). You must provide one (1) chaperone for every seven (7) students they are bringing to the competition.
2. Appraisers may not serve as chaperones.
3. Team Managers and adult chaperones are asked to keep track of all team members AT ALL TIMES.
4. The safety and security of the participants and general public are of paramount importance.
5. RUNNING IS NOT PERMITTED at any time or any place during the tournament!!! Violations of this rule will result in the immediate assessment of an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty.
6. ALL APPRAISERS, TEAM MANAGERS, CHAPERONES, PARENTS, VISITORS AND TEAM MEMBERS MUST WEAR NAME TAGS WITH THE SCHOOL PASSPORT NAME CLEARLY INDICATED. These name tags are necessary to ensure security of all who are attending this tournament. We may ask for identification of anyone not wearing a name tag.
7. Neither the Ridge High School nor NJDI accept responsibility for the security of props, equipment or other personal items that teams bring. Responsibility for the security of such items rest solely with you and your team members.
8. As soon as the Team has completed its performance, they MUST IMMEDIATELY REMOVE ITS BELONGINGS AND PROPS AND PLACE THEM IN THE BUS, CAR OR TRUCK.
9. Props are to be removed from school grounds after the competition.
NO PROPS MAY BE DISPOSED OF ON SITE!
10. No props or other belongings should be brought to the tournament site prior to check-in on the morning of the tournament. There is no storage for these items prior to tournament day.
C. HOLDING AND PROP STORAGE AREAS
1. Each participating membership will be assigned to an area for the storage of team props, costumes, coats, etc. Teams should be aware that the room might be shared with a team(s) from another membership. Every effort should be made to respect the property, props, etc of other Teams. Before leaving the school, you must check each room used by your team members to be sure no items are left behind and see that the room is in the same condition as when you arrived.
2. ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD OR BEVERAGES MAY BE CONSUMED IN ANY OF THE HOLDING ROOMS! UNSPORTSMANSHIP CONDUCT DEDUCTIONS MAY BE ASSESSED AGAINST TEAMS WHO VIOLATE THIS RULE!
3. Team members, Team Managers, and chaperones are not to alter, rearrange, consume, or destroy anything in these rooms. The contents of these rooms are the property of the Ridge High School and its employees. WE MUST REPECT THEIR PROPERTY.
4. Teams who do not leave their holding area in proper order or do damage to any school property will:
a. forfeit their right to any award(s).
b. not move to the next level of competition
c. be subject to penalties and sanctions stated in the NJDI bylaws.
In the event disciplinary action must be taken on a team member(s), Team
Manager, or chaperone, the NJDI member’s school district administrators
and Board of Education will be notified via letter from NJDI.
5. Team members, Team Managers, and chaperones are the only individuals allowed in the prep area. Parents, guests, and spectators are limited to the competition and public (i.e. cafeteria) areas ONLY. It is your responsibility to communicate this information to all individuals to avoid an infraction of this tournament rule.
6. It is advisable to have your team members bring quiet activities to occupy them until it is time to compete or until the Award Ceremony begins.
7. Each team is responsible for bringing everything it needs.
8. The Award Ceremony will not begin until the Tournament Officials have examined all assigned areas to see that teams have left them in the conditions in which they were found.
9. AS SOON AS YOU HAVE CLEANED AND CLEARED YOUR HOLDING AREA, PLEASE BRING YOUR COMPLETED HOLDING ROOM CHECK-OUT FORM TO THE REGISTRATION DESK.
1. Food and beverages will be for sale in the cafeteria starting with a breakfast station.
2. PLEASE NOTE THAT CAFETERIA PROCEEDS HELP TO OFFSET THE COSTS FOR THE GENEROUS DONATION OF THIS SITE.
3. ALL FOOD AND BEVERAGES MUST BE CONSUMED IN THE CAFETERIA ONLY!!!!
4. Food and beverages may be brought into the school building and STORED ONLY in the holding rooms. All food must be consumed in the cafeteria!
5. Holding rooms will be checked periodically throughout the day and any team members, Team Managers, or chaperones found eating or drinking in the holding rooms will face immediate disciplinary action.
6. Team Managers and team members must check their tables and chairs in the cafeteria before leaving to ensure that other team members can sit down immediately and enjoy a clean dining area.
E. Parents and Supporters
1. Please remind all parents, guests, and visitors about Interference penalties.
2. Please ask that, as spectators, your guests refrain from talking or making any disturbing noises during a team’s performance, and that they remain a reasonable distance from the performance area.
3. VIDEOTAPING of a Team’s performance is allowed by the performing team only!!! Videotape equipment may not be used to record another team’s performance. No flash cameras.
4. All cellular phones, beepers, alarms, etc., must be turned off before each team begins its performance.
F. HANDICAPPED STUDENTS
The Ridge High School is accessible to handicapped persons. If you have a handicapped student competing who needs special arrangements, please contact us.
G. COMPETITION SITES AND RULES
1. The site set-up is the responsibility of NJDI, which has provided satisfactory conditions and therefore will not alter any site.
2. Unless the item is specifically listed as being provided by the Tournament Directors, the team must bring everything it needs to compete.
3. Current clarifications issued by Destination ImagiNation, Inc. will be in effect. Copies of team-specific clarifications should be brought to the tournament and presented to the Prep Area Appraiser.
4. Each team should arrive at its competition site at least twenty (20) minutes prior to its scheduled performance.
5. All teams must use the official forms found in the “Rules of the Road” Rulebook. Once the team has entered the Prep Area it must be ready to present the following to the Prep Area Appraiser:
a. Tournament Data Form (5 Copies)
b. Declaration of Independence (2 Copies)
c. Expense form (1 Copy)
d. Team specific clarification forms (2 Copies)
e. Forms specific to your team’s challenge. Please check your Challenge carefully for all required paperwork. There will be no copier available on Tournament Day.
6. For the duration of the tournament, an Unsportmanlike Conduct Penalty will be assessed to any team member for inappropriate behavior in either competition or non-competition areas. Tournament officials will monitor all participants for compliance with all tournament rules.
H. THE INSTANT CHALLENGE COMPETITION
The Team Manager and all team members will report to the designated Instant Challenge Desk 15 minutes prior to the scheduled Instant Challenge time. The team will be escorted to the holding area to wait for the Head Appraiser. The Head Appraiser will escort the team to the Instant Challenge Site. One Team Manager and any team member who has chosen not to participate in Instant Challenge will be seated and instructed to remain quiet before any information regarding the challenge is given. The Team Manager must turn off all electronic devices at this time.
As your team prepares to begin the Instant Challenge, they will be asked to repeat this solemn promise:
“We promise not to talk about ANYTHING that we see, hear, do or say in this room UNTIL AFTER GLOBAL FINALS. If we are heard or are found to have shared this Challenge with anyone, we will be disqualified from the Tournament. However, we can talk about it privately among ourselves!”
At the completion of the Instant Challenge, the team and Team Manager will be escorted to the exit of the Instant Challenge Area and reminded that IC is secret and may not be discussed with ANYONE (including each other) until after the Global Finals. Anyone overheard discussing their Instant Challenge will be disqualified from the tournament.
I. MAIN CHALLENGE SCORE REPORTING PROCEDURE
The following rules will govern the score reporting procedures at this tournament:
1. The Head Appraiser will present each Team Manager with a copy of the team’s official score sheet as soon as it is tabulated by the officials. (NOTE: The only exception involves the first three teams. The scores of these teams may be withheld and reevaluated. If changes are made, these scores may only be raised, not lowered).
2. The Team Manager has 30 MINUTES from the time recorded on the score sheet to discuss an OBJECTIVE but NOT A SUBJECTIVE score with the HEAD APPRAISER. After 30 minutes have passed, no concerns will be entertained. If a Team Manager has another team about to perform and cannot address a concern within the 30 minute time frame, he/she should inform the Head Appraiser. The Head Appraiser will indicate a later time for a conference.
3. Any discussion between a Team Manager and Head Appraiser must be polite and out of earshot of any spectators.
4. If a Head Appraiser is unable to settle a concern, he/she will refer it to the Challenge Master. The Challenge Master will evaluate the situation and rule appropriately.
5. If a Team Manager does not pick up the team’s official score sheet as soon as it is ready, the score is considered official 30 minutes from that time.
6. If your team is one of the last two teams to compete, be certain to approach the Head Appraiser prior to his or her departure. It is your responsibility to pick up the team’s score.
7. All Long Term and Instant Challenge sites are managed by the DI Challenge Masters. Any concern that cannot be addressed by the Head Appraiser will be referred to the Challenge Master for final resolution. He/She may seek counsel from the Tournament Officials; however, the decision of the Challenge Master is final. Appeals, either in writing or by phone, will not be reviewed or considered. All issues arising from this Association Finals will be resolved on March 24, 2007.
J. MERCHANDISE SALES
Our “DI souvenir store” will be located in the cafeteria lobby. Be sure to stop by and check out the NJDI T-Shirts, pins, and other fun merchandise!
K. AWARDS CEREMONY
The Awards Ceremony will be held in the Gym (for all divisions/all teams) after teams have performed and all scores have be tabulated by the Score Room Challenge Master and all holding areas have been checked by Tournament Officials. Please check in the Registration Area for posted times.
L. OUR HOST
It is the goal of the New Jersey Destination ImagiNation Assoc. to make this day a productive and meaningful experience for students, Team Managers, distinguished guests, parents and visitors. Much time and planning has gone into providing a proper climate for a good competition.
The BERNARDS TOWNSHIP SCHOOL DISTRICT has graciously allowed us to conduct this year’s Association Finals in its facilities. We expect to demonstrate our appreciation through the exemplary behavior of all participants and their guests. We thank all who assist in helping us achieve our goals.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN RIDGE ON March 24, 2007!